View Single Post
Old May 13, 2018, 07:24 AM   #3
OhioGuy

Absolutely. In dynamic situations you don't have the luxury of choosing the stance you'll assume when the critical moment comes. It may not be a stance at all. That's why so many trainers focus on learning to shoot kneeling, crouching, lying on your side, flat on your back. I personally find it awkward to shift from movement to isosceles, and then back to movement. I find a somewhat more narrow stance, usually more like what would be called "Weaver" to be easier to get into and out of, especially if I'm moving toward or away from a target while shooting.

I guess it strikes me that isosceles is meant for a stable, static shooting position, but if you're under attack, static is the worst thing you can be.

(Incidentally it's also why many people who advocate for red dot pistol sights say they made the switch, and I'm in that process myself. Dynamic situations are also poorly suited to closing one eye and focusing intently on a point 18" in front of your face. The front sight isn't attacking you, and another threat -- or obstacle to be avoided as you escape -- could lie where your closed eye no longer sees. Both eyes open and scanning the area, with a bright dot indicating your point of aim, is so much more natural to me).

Page generated in 0.03598 seconds with 8 queries