View Single Post
Old April 8, 2013, 09:59 PM   #1
mdd

what to do when your equipment no longer matches your skills?

Let me make this very clear from the start...this is not an ego trip. In fact, the exact opposite would be true. If you choose to do the legwork, you can review my posts and find what brand of rifle I prefer. I have had this brand and style since my first deer rifle at age 13. As time progressed and money became more readily available, I upgraded scopes. Then triggers. Then started fine tuning ammo. All in the hopes of that fabled consistent sub-moa rifle. I have many of this same configuration in different calibers now but one thing remains the same. They are not precision rifles and never will be. They are very durable and more than accurate enough for coyote duty but its hard to admit I am out shooting my equipment because I have a long history with these rifles.
What led me to this conclusion was the experiences I've had over the last couple of years shooting other rifles. Both happened to be remingtons. One was a 700 bdl 25-06 an older gentleman asked me to sight in for him for deer season. At 100 yards, I shot not one, not two, but three three shot groups that were all one ragged hole. The only change was p.o.i. as I adjusted the scope for him. I had the chance to buy that rifle and stupidly passed on it because I couldn't stand the magna port on the barrel. The next was a remington r15 223 that another neighbor offered to sell me. He had his sights on a different rifle and needed the money out of this one. I bought it, somewhat begrudgingly, before all the hoopla began around ar15's and got by today's standards what is an unimaginable bargain. Not expecting much I just drew a simple target on a cardboard box, lasered off a hundred yards, and backed up into a cedar tree. I figured it to be a coyote calling rifle so it may as well be shot the way it was to be shot. I put the legs down on the bipod, fed it some factory 55 grain fmj's and proceeded to shoot a three shot group that can be fully covered by a penny. I have the photo to prove it as well.
I have never shot groups like either of those two rifles did with my own preferred brand. So what would you do? Would you divest some of the rifles you currently had and put that money into a different, more reputedly accurate brand? Or would you rebarrel one of your favorites to achieve that level of accuracy? Time is on my side here as there is no rush to do anything. I simply want a rifle that doesn't leave me scratching my head trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong because I feel reasonably confident in saying the issue is not operator error any longer.

Thanks for any input you may offer.
Michael

Page generated in 0.02204 seconds with 8 queries