View Single Post
Old November 26, 2020, 12:10 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
@44 amp. I'm very familiar with the cartridge, and didn't mean to hurt your feelings, and thanks...I guess.
Didn't hurt my feelings, but did get me spun up a bit. I'm an old curmudgeon with a strong leaning towards precision in firearms terms. Using the correct names often makes the difference between understanding and misunderstanding.

Win and Rem and some others are long accepted "shorthand" in firearms use, used even by gun makers themselves. But changing Roberts to "bob",..sorry, no...just...no. Likewise changing Weatherby to "Roy" which I saw done once on the internet...its just not ...right.

I am also irritated at "wheelies" for revolvers and "shotty" for shotgun, but those are just cutesy stupid, not quite the same as changing the person's name.

I suppose someday I might see someone writing about the "9mm Geo" instead of 9mm Luger... I won't let that one pass, either.

Quote:
Krupp Laufstahl is Krupp Fluid Steel.
Very close translation, but not quite precise. It certainly is "fluid steel" in the usual sense, however, laufen is the German verb meaning "to run" so a literal translation would be Krupp run steel, and could be meant as steel "run in the Krupp works" but that also is not quite correct.

Lauf in German firearms terminology is the barrel. (its where the bullet "runs") so I think the proper translation of Krupp Laufstahl would be "Krupp Barrel steel" meaning the metal was barrel steel quality, like US makers used "fluid steel" and "Nickel steel" in that era.

Translating German firearm terminology can be amusing, and requires a bit of knowing the mechanisms to understand things sometimes. OF course, the same can be said for English, as well.

here's another one, the gun part we call the "hammer" in German is the "Hahn". Which, if you look it up translates to "Rooster"
Which seems to make no sense, until you go a step further and change "Rooster" to "Cock" and then it makes sense, as it is (in English) the part that we "cock".

the Eagle/N is the German commercial Nitro proof mark. The style of the eagle suggests to me it was during the Nazi years, but don't take that as a given. I have seen that "heart shape" mark somewhere, but cannot now remember just where. european, almost certainly, but might not be German, I didn't find it in the one book I quickly checked, but that's by no means an exhaustive search...

Page generated in 0.04156 seconds with 8 queries