View Single Post
Old January 9, 2001, 11:34 AM   #5
Glamdring

Erick: The terminology here is my own. Angle in attack...basically instead of moving away from an
attack, the normal reaction, you move into it but at an angle. Any hand to hand attack has a range at which it develops maximum power by stepping into an attack you mess up opponents timing and also attempt to jam their attack [ie even if they hit you they do so before maximum power is developed]. Plus you can move behind them and counter attack them from behind.

The reason this is more suited for a martial artist vs a shooter is because it is a trained reflex/movement
that is the opposite of one's natural response.

Mort: With respect, a shooter may be a martial artist but simply being a shooter doesn't make one a martial artist anymore than having a weapon makes one ready for war/combat/defense. When I use the term "martial artist" I am using it in the sense that most people do. A person that
study's & practices a hand to hand sport/art that involves physical contact. To me Tai Chi isn't a martial art unless one practices push hands [even then it isn't really a MA but can be used as such].

To be honest most, if not all, shooting schools & martial arts schools don't really teach a combatitive art.
Since they tend to focus on a very narrow aspect of combat/defense. Shooting schools usually focus on shooting a pistol, that is presented from a strong side holster, at a stationary target on command. The better ones cover mind set, & address tactics to a limited extent.

An example to illustrate point. Most people will either have kids of their own or be in charge of kids at some point in their life. Mothers often have to deal with one, two, or even three [or more] small children while shopping for groceries or doing laundry at a Laundromat, yet to the best of my knowledge none of the shooting/defense schools have ever addressed this issue. I know they would say be aware. Avoid dangerous locations, etc. But that just ignores the question.

But no matter how aware you are or how will you are armed if you have just two little kids to watch and control you would be hard pressed to defend against a car jacking.

Most shooting schools train their shooters to stand still and shoot. Or find cover and then sit still and shoot.
Clint Smith and a few other use movement a bit in their classes.

As Hardball mentioned many of the techniques that Mroz demonstrates are more than a little dangerous to practice...whenever you shoot a gun from a close to the body [ie retention position] position it is very easy to get a limb in front of the muzzle.

Aside: Ralph Mroz started out as a martial artist, not a shooter or combat shooter. He got into shooting when he admitted to himself that even against two untrained opponents his realistic chances of winning were not good [if he was unarmed], or against even a single opponent that was armed his odds were not so good.

In my experience almost all "defensive" training is of very limited utility. Because most of the time you have an enthusiast of some sort [of handgun, knife, shotgun, judo, karate, AR's, boxing, etc.] trying to teach someone that is starting from zero high or mid level techniques from their hobby. When they should be teaching novice level self defense [or higher level self defense].

Page generated in 0.03958 seconds with 8 queries