Thread: Safety
View Single Post
Old August 18, 2009, 11:18 AM   #18
jamaica

Quote:
I wear glasses Polycarbonate glasses. Just because they are my everyday glasses.
I am with rwilson452 on this one. This is the only personal safety equipment I have ever used while reloading.

A fire extinguisher is a good idea just because. Not necesarily because of reloading. When my kids were at home, they first started a fire then put it out with the extinguisher. More than once.

Safety in reloading has more to do with using approved recipes, standard procedures, and being a stickler to detail. IOW, do it right!

I might mention a few specific things that I do for safety sake.

Keep sources of ignition away from the bench.

No more than one can of powder on the bench at a time. This prevents accidently mixing powders or using the wrong one to refill the measure. Also, when finished, empty the measure back into the can so you won't have unlabeled powder sitting in the measure.

Same for primers. One package at a time on the bench so primers don't get mixed up, or the wrong ones accidently used.

It has already been mentioned to not have breezes when weighing powder. A breeze can give erratic readings on the scale.

Before seating bullets, visually check each casing for a load of powder and to ascertain it doesn't have a double charge. Squibs and kabooms are just not acceptable.

It is a great hobby. Enjoy, and be safe.

Page generated in 0.02330 seconds with 8 queries