Thread: Hunting Skills
View Single Post
Old March 14, 2013, 09:23 PM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For any kind of stalking hunting, learning how to walk is part of the deal. Critters don't march; they don't walk with regular steps.

I glance out in front on the ground, checking for where I'll put my feet in the next two to four steps. I then go back to looking around, back to hunting as I take the steps. That way, I don't go along looking at my feet, and I don't step on limbs or rolling rocks and make noise.

I work into the wind, move for a minute or three and stand for a few minutes before easing along.

I've done this in the Appalachicola River bottomland jungle below Blountstown, Florida. Deer, hogs...

While that works fairly well for white tail in fairly thick cover, for mule deer down in my desert mountains, it's just the opposite. Move along fairly fast, make a racket, and try to kick Bambi out of bed. Desert mule deer will practically make you step on them before jumping out. Worse than a covey of quail--and a lot bigger!

Bucks generally bed down just below the downwind crest of a ridge, and near a saddle. If something's coming up from below, they can see or hear. If from behind, they have the wind in their favor. When spooked, they'll run uphill and upwind, through the nearest saddle where there is more brush.

But, overall, just getting out in the boonies a bit before daylight or in late afternoon and just sitting and watching for an hour or two will tell a person a lot about what critters do.

Page generated in 0.03399 seconds with 8 queries