View Single Post
Old November 20, 2000, 11:31 PM   #10
ModIMark0

Gewehr 98,
There should be two ways that the mag tube is locked in with the Remington bayonet mount and the barrel:

1. The magazine tube extension should lock into the barrel's support band. There should be a ball detent on the front (facing toward the muzzle) of the barrel band that engages a series of tooths (like a gear's teeth) that are inside the collar of the Remington magazine tube extensions that screws onto the threads of the original magazine tube. That can be tightened up by turning it, or possibly using Locktite (I think my Remington 1187 has the locking collar Locktited to the original tube).

2. The bayonet mount/mag tube bracket has three holes drilled into the two halves that allow the mount/bracket to be tightened on the barrel and mag extension tube. The middle hole should be drilled slightly lower on the factory Remington and Scattergun Tech mount/bracket. That middle hole allows the screw that runs through it to lock into the annular groove that is on the Remington factory mag extension tubes, and when tightened up will give support to the magazine extension tube from the barrel (see the pic you initially posted).
The two stripped brackets that I have have the middle hole drilled in line with the other two, and thus does not lock into the grooves of the magazine extension tube. Perhaps your mount/bracket has the same layout of holes drilled in it as mine.
By the way, does your bayonet mount/mag tube extension bracket have the front rifle sight brazed onto the upper half, or is there a cutout to accomodate it? And where did you find a heat shield with a cut out to accomodate the rear rifle sight base? And how long would a heat shield need to be to reach the rear of the bayonet wount (if you planned on attaching the heat shield to the mount)?
I'm asking because Gun Parts Corp has had a universal ventilated heat shield originally for military shotguns that has an overall length of 15" (and is also in the white) for about $12.95 and has the catalog/order number of DRA10 (on p.169 of the 21st edition catalog).

Hope this helps.

Page generated in 0.03494 seconds with 8 queries