View Single Post
Old February 22, 2000, 12:18 PM   #10
Paul B.

J.S. I kind of go along with K in AR. A scope such as a 1 3/4x5 is more than adequate for 99% of any hunting you will do. Actually, I'm going more in favor of fixed power scopes as I grow older. I used to get 3x9's for my rifles. I'd set them on 3X, and leave them here. In the roughly 20 + years of using variable scopes, I have used 9X exactly one time. Why pack the dead weight? I was shooting at a brush obscured doe, and bucks were not legal. I had to determine if the deer had a bald head, and my 7X binoculars just did not cut it. Just for information sake, the longest shot I ever had to make on a deer was at 427 paces. Witnessed. It was wounded and had to be brought down before it got away, or I would not have taken the shot. The scope? An old Weaver 3X. That scope has been on that particular rifle for more than 30 years, and is still going strong.
Lately, I have been slowly replacing 3x9 scopes with Leupold fixed power 4x's. Any variables I will buy in the future, will be 1 3/4x5's. A 5X scope should be more than sufficient for any reasonable shot you would want to take.
Frankly, all these super .300 magnums like the Remington R.U.M. and others of that ilk on super accurate rifles with oversized scopes to as high a 6.5x20x for deer hunting make me sick. Whatever happened to the sport of hunting, seeking and stalking an animal to within a reasonable range? In fact, how many hunters (?) are even capable of using that equipment to it's full potential? What fun is there in sniping some poor herbivore at 600 yards?
Didn't mean to rant so, but it seems that some of the shooting world has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous.
JMHO.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.03546 seconds with 8 queries