View Single Post
Old April 15, 2013, 05:00 PM   #84
lcpiper

Quote:
anyone who can google can see that mass shootings are declining, not increasing. in order to have this conversation people need to know the facts. much like gun control advocates, there are people running around uninformed trying to lay blame on things they know absolutely nothing about.
Actually there are many people on this forum that know a lot about some of these things. There are some real professionals here, give them time to reply and see for yourself.

Quote:
They are clearly already seeing these games as simulators and have plans to run further down this road.
No they are not, not the way you are interpreting what they are saying with what they actually mean. Now let me explain.

There is a reference to low cost, off the shelf, they don't want to pay big money for real simulator time to teach everything, instead they are looking to what something like these games can help with.

We understand that the game can't train you on how to reload, or how to actually aim properly. But when a soldier is in a vehicle in convoy and the lead vehicle is hit with an RPG, it can train them to stop, dismount(get out) of the vehicle, move to cover, look for threats, add voice and you get proper communications. So you get cognitive training that is trying to show the soldier how to identify what situation just unfolded, and how they should react to it. But on top of this they have to go and perform the physical part, the game is just an introduction. It's something that a squad can do in the afternoon in a classroom. The big simulators require a lot of support and preparation. Then they go to live training events at the National Training centers in Ft. Polk, LA. and Ft. Irwin., CA.

Try and keep in mind, this officer, he is involved in this project. Someone said....
"Captain go see if we can find some value in training our guys on the cheap, what can we do that's effective and identify how to tie that in with our current and future training."

Of course this Captain is going to sound encouraging when someone comes to talk about the great things this project will provide.

As for further down the road. That would be to actually have a developer custom tailor an existing title to better support what they want to teach soldiers in this venue. Think of it like this, I could use a game that was an accurate representation of the Pentagon so that new employees could learn how not to get lost in that maze of a building all the time. At first I might take an off-the-shelf title that has some big indoor areas, a lot of confusing mazes and corridors and offices just to see what I can expect the value to be, and to determine what I want the actual product to be. What are my contract requirements? This would teach someone new how to get around, but they still have to learn how to manipulate the security systems, and what shoes don't slip so bad on the polished floors. Does that help?

Page generated in 0.03815 seconds with 8 queries