View Single Post
Old May 9, 2007, 01:30 PM   #23
scout26

Quote:
I'm shooting premium loads for a promo price.
That's the real secret to shotshell reloading. It's not that you're going to save a ton of money, but that you can shoot a AA/STS/Gold Medal quality shell tailored to you and your gun at a S-Mart Fedchesterton promo shell price.

OT,
Got a pair of Load-All II's here. On in 12ga and one in 20ga. They work. They are not fast . I've had mine (12ga) for several years, bought it back in college, all I could afford at the time. I still use it to "test" new loads. Test meaning--> When I get bored making the same loads over and over again, I'll go looking through the manuals or the Powder Manufacturer's websites and look for a new recipe or three to try out. I mostly use one of my progressives to make 12 ga these days. I'll also use it to make a box or two of various hunting/HD loads.

My 13 year-old daughter uses her Load-All in 20ga to make her own shells. She shoots 50-100 shells per weekend, normally two- three rounds of trap and a round or two of skeet. Last weekend she shot 17-18-18 at trap with the shells she reloaded. She doesn't want me to post her skeet score.

Granted we're not shooting competition, it's just the family and a maybe a friend or two "Let's go bust some clays at the club and get out of Mom's hair for a couple of hours, unless Mom wants to come with" on a Sunday afternoon.

1. Every round we've loaded in a Load-All has gone "Bang".
2. It's an inexpensive to start reloading and if you "outgrow" it you can sell it and recoup your investment (you should be able to get one for <$40, check out local gunshows, internet sales (I personally hate Evil-bay, but you can find them there for around $20-25.) Buy components in Bulk. Primers, Wads in 5k lots, Powder in 8lb kegs and reclaimed shot or if all you can get is new shot then several hundred to a couple of thousand pounds at one time. A group buy is definitely the way to go.
3. It's much simple to use it to try out new recipes then having to adjust darn near everything everything on a progressive to make a box or two of test loads and then adjust everything back. I got her MEC 650 and still haven't gotten in dialed in, it's notoriously sensitive to change. She prefers the Load-All.

Get a scale, the Lee scale can be found for +/- $25 and works as good as any digital out there. The bushing chart should be considered a guide or starting point. Use the scale to confirm your drops. I keep my own chart of bushings and drop weights for the various powders I use, but I still check e every 15-25 rounds just to verify weights.

+1 on Handloads.com

Shotgunworld.com also has a great fora on reloading (SshooterZ is the Mod over there), there are a couple of "crustier" members who might not agree with using Lee equipment, but otherwise they are/it is a wealth of info on shotshell reloading.

Page generated in 0.03632 seconds with 8 queries