View Single Post
Old May 3, 2000, 05:59 PM   #3
Unkel Gilbey

Something that the previous poster failed to mention (I think) were Gas checks.

Gas checks are small copper disc's that are attached to the base of the lead bullet. They start life a tad larger than bullet diameter, and are crimped on when the bullet is run through the resizer. They (GC's) allow you to use hotter loads then would normally be possible with just straight lead bullets. Hotter loads with un-GC'ed bullets would result in extreme leading and much grief on the shooter/weapon cleaner!

I have always used a rule of thumb of 1000 fps as a speed limit for lead pills. I know that really hard cast bullets don't lead as much as softer cast bullets, and GC'ed bullets aren't always available - so I'm happy with 1000 fps.

I'm curious. How did you plan to 'swab' out the lead from your barrel while on the firing line? I am aware of several lead removal solvents on the market, but in using these - there is usually some time and elbow grease involved. There are other means of lead removal which are mechanical in nature - meaning that there aren't necessarily any solvents involved - just your effort.

Lead in the barrel is IN THERE! It doesn't easily come out. There is no easy or quick way to remove it while on the line - but that really shouldn't pose any problem with you. Unless you are going for extreme accuracy AND you are getting extreme leading - there is no reason why you couldn't send two to three hundred rounds down range with normal loads and have virtually no reduction in the size of your groups.

Last thing. The only barrel that I have ever heard that you should never fire cast bullets through are those which are polygonal in cross section(ie: Glocks/Baby Eagle) Could be wrong - would ask to be corrected if I am, but seems reasonable to me.

Let us know how you fair. Good luck!

Unkel Gilbey

Page generated in 0.03577 seconds with 8 queries