View Single Post
Old April 15, 2019, 09:12 PM   #1
HillBilly Willy

Which powder and how much shot should I use?

First, I apologize for all the questions I'm about to ask. I'm new to this world of black powder.

Now that I've shot the "wallhanger", I want to do it again, except better.

I have read that with a larger bore size, you want a slower burning powder such as 2F. But with such a short barrel, there is less time for the powder to burn up before exiting, so would this mean you might want a faster burning powder?

I'd think normal powder and ball loads go out the window with a 15 7/8" barrel.

Now take a look at the screenshot I grabbed from the video of when I fired it.

Can you say flamethrower?

Today on the way home, I picked up a 100 ct. box of .375 round ball bullets, each of which weighs 79 to 80 grains. How many would be appropriate to load in the "wallhanger" with 75 grains of 3F? Is there any point to trying 100 grains of 3F?

As I have stated before, I am not comfortable with loading a .80 round ball in the barrel, just because I really do not know anything about the overall strength or condition of the steel, or even the maker. I would like to keep the pressure down, which is why I will shoot the .375 round ball as shot.

I did measure the outside diameter of the barrel tonight.

At the muzzle end, the o.d. measures ~.894, and for the sake of argument I will say the inside diameter measures ~.804, since the measurement varies a little due to the pitting in the barrel. .894 - .804 = ~.090. Divided by 2, this gives a barrel thickness of ~.045 at the muzzle end.

At the lock end of the barrel, I got an O.D. of ~1.326, which after doing the math, gives a barrel thickness of ~.261, which would be about 1/4 of an inch. Am I doing this right, and does that sound like an appropriate barrel thickness?

Finally, I did find what appears to be some letters on the side of the barrel, two sideways "O"s and maybe an "N" as well. Any ideas? Wishful thinking? I really wish I could get the barrel out of the stock, and hopefully find a manufacturers mark somewhere, but it just won't budge.

So, given all the variables I have mentioned (very short .80 caliber barrel of unknown manufacture, with current supply of 3F BP, and .375 round ball), what would you load in this old beast? I was thinking 70 grains of 3F, and maybe six to eight .375 round ball bullets at 80 grains each, but I'm just guessing because I'm new to this whole black powder thing. I really don't want to guess any more than I have to.

Finally, if you had to choose a powder, which one would you choose, and why? 2F, 4f, or stay with 3F? (In case I ever use up my current supply and decide to get more.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited by HillBilly Willy; April 15, 2019 at 11:07 PM.

Page generated in 0.02155 seconds with 8 queries