View Single Post
Old November 29, 2019, 08:56 AM   #1
NRA_guy

Questions about the Form 4 process

I am 73 years old and interested in getting a suppressor for a .22 LR handgun.

As I understand, I must first pay for and order a suppressor, and have it delivered to my local FFL dealer who can legally hold it while my Form 4 is cleared by the ATF and FBI.

And from what I read, that FBI clearance can take a year or more. The FBI web site says that ANY issue with approval gets your background check put at the bottom of the "when we get around to it" stack.

My normal instant background checks for gun purchases have consistently incurred a delay of an hour or two, but eventual approval. (I got a CCW permit to eliminate that hassel.)

Security and law enforcement folks also are unable to get "acceptable" electronic scanned finger prints from me. They say that it is a common problem with old guys.

So I assume that my Form 4 will go to the bottom of FBI's stack and take a year or more to clear---if it ever clears.

Question 1: What happens if I have a paid for suppressor sitting in my FFL dealer's safe for over a year and I die during that time?

Question 2: What happens to my suppressor if during the waiting period, the FFL dealer goes out of business and/or files bankruptcy?

Question 3: What happens to my suppressor if the FBI never, ever approves my background check because they do not like my finger prints and nobody can get a decent set of prints from me?

By the way:

The ATF web site says: "The fingerprint cards must be completed by your local law enforcement authority."

The Form 4 instructions say: "The fingerprints must be clear for accurate classification and taken by someone properly equipped to take them."

Page generated in 0.02474 seconds with 8 queries