View Single Post
Old March 17, 2017, 12:07 PM   #77
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
That does not mean I will not act just as quickly and accurately with my LCP or revolver in a high stress situation. Having never had to draw a weapon​ in a life threatening encounter I can't know this for sure. I don't accept that having a thumb safety on my primary carry, and not on my secondary​ ones puts me at greater risk.
I agree, I don't see how having a safety on your primary arm, and none on your secondary could put you at risk, however, I can see how the reverse is not true. The same with having a safety on your secondary that is in a different place, or works differently COULD put you at risk.

Also, I don't understand the hostility about being told a long established fact. When you are operating without conscious, specific thought about the individual acts you are doing, it is a long proven fact that the majority of people will do what they trained to do (no matter if it is the right thing for the situation or not) and that includes "self taught" training.

And, it doesn't have to be a gunfight /ambush /life at risk situation, it applies to any, and possibly every situation where you simply aren't thinking, just reacting.

Certainly we ALL know what gun is in our hands when we get ready to shoot, on the conscious level. It's the level just below that where changes can have huge UNINTENDED consequences.

Stepping on the "clutch" pedal when you are driving an automatic will result in an unexpected action (especially strong if its a power brake pedal). Not usually a life and death situation, because it normally happens only the FIRST time you stop. After that, part of your "autopilot" is "recalibrated" for power brakes.

Missing the opportunity for a shot, because you usually "drive" a gun with no safety and today have one that does, could be important. Likewise your usual gun having its safety in a spot different from the one you are holding today. Or the direction the safety works is opposite. If you are running on "autopilot" these changes can have drastic results.

I've learned this from personal experience, fortunately, in my case, with no injury or loss of life as a result, but the lesson sunk in.

Almost no one believes it can happen to them, until after it does.

Page generated in 0.03054 seconds with 8 queries