Thread: Check this out.
View Single Post
Old February 19, 2001, 10:04 PM   #14
OF

Stopping by once w/o your gear is a great idea, DeadAim. Some ranges will have printed rules you can take with you and look over on your own time beforehand.

How's your firearms safety training? Do you know the basic rules? This is primo importante number one. Firearms safety rules are FIRST, range rules are SECOND.

If you haven't had any basic safety training yet, you might want to consider that before going to the range solo. It won't take long and will be the best thing you can do for yourself right out of the gate.

Just in case you need to know, here's a quick rundown of the 4 Commandments. 99% of firearms accidents happen because someone violated one or more of these four rules:

1. All guns are always loaded.

-- always treat a gun as if it were loaded, respectfully. This is a great rule for the range, because even if you know a weapon is unloaded, no one else at the range does. Myself, I clear my gun twice every time I pick it up. It's now a habit and it takes only a moment.

2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

-- I try to imagine a laser light coming from the barrel of the gun and always be concious of what I'm 'lighting up'. After a while, this too becomes habit.

3. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until your sights are on target and you have made the decision to fire.

-- I find this to be the 'rule most often ignored' by new shooters. Don't ignore it. You should always hold a firearm with your trigger finger laying alongside the slide (right side if you're right handed). Get comfortable holding weapons this way. It should feel a little uneasy to have your finger touching the trigger.

4. Know your target, what is behind it and where your bullet will eventually come to rest.

-- at the range, you're not actually shooting at the target. Your shooting into the backstop. You are placing the target in between your weapon and the backstop. Think about this when you setup your targets. Be aware of your surroundings, try not to zone out.

Pay attention, ask for help and have a good time

- gabe

PS: Maybe go into the General Discussion forum and ask if anyone on TFL lives nearby and would be willing to go to the range with you? I'll bet you'll get an old fart or two to take you up on it. Not that anyone here likes to go shooting or what have you...

Page generated in 0.03486 seconds with 8 queries