View Single Post
Old June 29, 2009, 05:09 PM   #2
EastSideRich

Here's a couple of pics.
On the left side of both pictures are .40 180gr Hornady TAP (4 rounds).
They were shot into a block of a rubbery adhesive.
After I figured out how to get them to fully expand (I had to place a sandwich bag full of water on the front of the block), they all turned out like the one that shed its jacket.
What I found was the lead core will end up slightly mushroomed,with any "petals" ending up as tiny fragments (broken off) and the jacket will usually separate and end up staying well behind the rest of the bullet.
If they don't fully expand, they end up looking like the others.

I don't like them.

Just as a comparison, There's also a picture (blue background) of some Federal HSTs fired into the same stuff. .40 is the one in the middle. It's sitting on a quarter. They all end up looking like this - although this one was the one with the most impressive diameter; usually they have the petals folded back a little more, but not much.
Skip the Hornadys, Go with HST or Gold Dots.
(EDIT: I guess you probably dont want to use gold dot if they have feed issues.
Have you ever thought of using Cor-Bon power ball? They may eliminate any feed issues.)

Sorry the pictures are so big. I can never get them to be the right size.

HST:

Last edited by EastSideRich; June 29, 2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: re-read OP, made change

Page generated in 0.02546 seconds with 8 queries