View Single Post
Old August 17, 2012, 08:09 AM   #5
300magman

Well, I didn't really get a direct answer; and perhaps that is because there isn't one general trend? . . . I just thought I remembered reading somewhere that, in general, barnes bullets tend to produce more/less velocity with similar powder loads. (all other things being equal)

I feel the need to post the following clarification of my original question (I thought the second sentence should have gotten this point across already, but apparently it hasn't to some people) because of the ripping that I have been taking in my private message box...thank you to "TimW77" in particular for your exceptional and uncalled for skewering

And perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I will be starting at recommended start loads and doing a ladder test up through the range, I was only looking for this info so I could approximate how many loads to make to get close to my target (below max) velocity, so that I don't end up having to break down so many rounds when I done.

(for example if there is an 8gr spread between the min and max book loads and I am loading my ladder test with 2 rounds at each charge in 0.7gr increments - that is 24 rounds total ! Now I know that I am not going for max, so lets back out the top 2 tiers of loads; that is still 20 rounds. But perhaps with a better estimate I would know to leave out another 2 or 3 tiers of loads)

Its not about being cheap, I just hate breaking down loads. However, as the range is a long trip, its better to take more than I need rather than less, and have to come back for a second trip.

FYI, with some of my rifles that correspond fairly well to book velocities, its pretty simple to estimate this . . . I asked in this case because this one rifle/brass combo doesn't correspond well to book (at least it hasn't with the projectiles that I have used so far)

Last edited by 300magman; August 17, 2012 at 08:15 AM.

Page generated in 0.02751 seconds with 8 queries