Thread: .270 Reloading
View Single Post
Old December 27, 2011, 02:40 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob86
Pure-D Bullsqueeze.
I don't necessarily think $400 is unrealistic. In fact, I recently put together a list for my cousin and the total price (using mostly Lee equipment including a Classic turret) came to over $500 with 3 sets of dies. With only one die set, you'd be $50-$75 cheaper.

However, I agree with your assessment on the savings. I have spent over $700 on equipment and supplies and I currently load for 5 cartridges. The equipment has paid for itself in about 1 1/2 years and I am not a high volume shooter.

Also, there are many people (of whom my cousin is one) who may only shoot 20-40 rounds a year, not for want but for cost. If he invests $400-$500 in equipment, he can shoot 3 times as much for the same price.

The rifles that I load for average about $7/20 reloads for "standard" ammo. Most factory ammo starts at around $17 a box if you're lucky, in places like Gander Mountain, WalMart and Bass Pro, which is where most people will buy their ammo. That's a savings of at least $10 a box and it would take 400 rounds to pay for the equipment.

After the equipment costs are recouped, you're saving AT LEAST $1 every time you pull the trigger on a rifle. What's not to like?

Beyond the cost savings, I literally can not buy ammo loaded with the bullet that I want to shoot in any of the 3 rifles cartridges I load. In one of them (7mm-08), the closest factory equivalent ammo loaded with Barnes TTSX bullets costs $2.40 a round. I load that same round for $0.85

Page generated in 0.04312 seconds with 8 queries