Thread: Can't Kill
View Single Post
Old March 17, 2009, 12:45 PM   #73
davlandrum

Hirlau,

Quote:
I wonder often if there is a benefit to teaching him to hunt in this day and era.
Not taking you to task - your choices do not have to match my choices.

There are many things today that you can make the same arguement about. I wonder often if there is a benefit to teaching my kids how to change the oil in the car in this day and era. After all, there is always a "Wonder-lube" around that will do it for you for $29.99.

Or change a tire (there is always AAA), or plant corn and beans, or dig potatoes (grocery store), or feed the chickens so we have eggs (and clean the coop).

There is value, at least in my mind, in doing the work to reap the reward. The world is not always about instant gratification or taking the easy way.

For me personally, I am never more alive than while hunting. No job, no cell phone, no static - just me and nature. Sometimes I am good enough to kill an animal, sometimes the animal is better. It is OK either way. And if I do kill a deer or an elk, I have made a choice to take full personal responsiblity for that death to put food on my table.

How many people would eat at McD's, if they had to personally kill the cow and butcher it?

Again, I don't walk in your shoes so this is not judgemental, just my perspective.

Dave

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart

Page generated in 0.02468 seconds with 8 queries