View Single Post
Old February 25, 2008, 01:24 PM   #3
ISC

They shoot well and are accurate. They are also made cheaply and don't have as long of an expected life and aren't rebuildable.

That being said, I've never worn out the barrel of any firearm I've ever owned and I shoot alot. In order to reach the point where the round count is going to degrade accuracy appreciably you have to shoot 10,000 rounds or so. Are you going to do this from a bolt action rifle in your lifetime?

If you shoot thousands of rounds a year or intend to have the rifle as an heirloom to pass down to great great grandchildren the Rem 770 or 710 is a bad choice for you.

If you will only shoot a few hundred rounds a year and want something cheap, reliable, and accurate then it's a good choice.

I've heard multiple reports that sub MOA accuracy out of the box is more common than not. I had one in .30-06 and my friend has one in .270. Both rifles exceeded the accuracy of both my CZ mauser and savage tactical. That was with both factory and handloaded ammo.

I ended up selling the .30-06 to my friend because I am trying to consolidate with .308 ammo as a standard. I like that they have iron sights (not common anymore), a synthetic stock, detachable mag and a nice trigger. I didn't think the action was the smoothest thing in the world, but I imagine it would have loosened up after shooting it more, and I'm not interested in performing a trench warfare "mad minute" so it's not an issue for me. If I found another 710 in .308 at a reasonable price I'd get it without fear.

Page generated in 0.03354 seconds with 8 queries