View Single Post
Old March 13, 2001, 05:54 PM   #10
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Yes, calling the cops is good. Though SCOTUS says that they occur no liability if they don't show. And they never did show. We all need to remember that. I crossed the street at an angle so that my path took me closer to the car but in such a way that I was never directly approaching the car. I never looked directly at them but could see them peripherally. My line of march took me about 15 yards behind the car where I patted my pockets, discovered I had left something I needed and reversed course. My new line took me close enough to the rear of the car to get the license number and to see closer what was happening. I never looked directly at them. Decided after viewing the totality that is was foolish drunks rather than a possible abduction and went to eat at Denny's. Weapons were never drawn by us. I didn't even consider drawing a weapon and I don't think Spectre did either. Even if I had decided it was necessary for someone's safety to directly confront these individuals I would not have drawn unless I felt that my life or someone ele's life was in danger.

Two things I'd do different now. One is to back the car into a parking space where I can stand by my trunk close to the HK91 (pop the trunk before I get out). The second thing I've done is begin carrying a small pair of 10X binoculars so I don't have to put on an act to get close to scope out possible goblins.

Gentlemen, saying things such as this is the business of the police is a nice, safe, "politically correct" response. However, all available units are often committed when a call comes through. Other times they are being directed by poorly trained dispatchers as seemed to be the case in this event. I am not prepared to watch something like this without acting if necessary. I do not intend ever to be in the position of reading the paper a few days later of the woman found dead in a trunk and have the sickening realization that the description of the car fits the one I ignored the other night while saying,"It's the police's job." In the days before cell phones, I walked into a stranger's house one night because of the horrible gurgling screams emanating from within. There I found an old man huddled in a chair with blood drooling from his mouth and pouring from his nose. I can still see in my mind's eye the big bubbles that formed of blood as he tried to breathe. His granddaughter's boyfriend had taken exception to the old man trying to stop her beating. Now the old man was receiving an attitude adjustment so he would know his place in the future. Boyfriend was furious when he realized a white stranger was behind him in the house. He calmed right down though when he got a good look down the barrel of a FN High Power.

At a party one night, one of our local he-men started beating his girlfriend. I'm not talking slapping, I'm talking full power blows with his fist. The first broke her nose. I didn't call the police-somebody else did. I stopped him.

Many of the dozens of people who listened to the protracted knife attack of Kitty Genovese called the police. The attack that took over one hour from start to finish. I wonder how many of those people were proud of their conduct?
I wonder what looking in the mirror has been like for them all these years? Have they been able to forget her screams and the fact they did nothing to save her but maybe call the police? I'll bet that is cold comfort to them when they try to sleep at night and awaken with her screams in their ears.

I might get hurt or killed trying to help someone. God knows I'm neither invulneralbe nor invincible. But I'll never have a night like theirs. I hope you never do.

Page generated in 0.03006 seconds with 8 queries