View Single Post
Old January 25, 2015, 05:14 PM   #12
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs
Unless gun springs are designed to be sacrificial, there is no reason they SHOULD degrade, other than: inferior material or heat treating, improper design, overheating (as in a fire), or corrosion.
So, you would have us believe that the Rohrbaugh R9 was designed so that the springs are INTENDED to lose functionality around 250-300 rounds, (or are made of defective materials)? And you would also have us believe that the recoil springs used in other smaller versions of larger guns (like some of the compact 45s, all of which recommend changing recoil springs far more frequently than is the case with the larger version of similar guns -- are intentionally built that way?

Recoil and magazine springs in smaller guns doing the same work in less space (and using less material) don't -- can't -- have the same spring life as the springs in larger guns shooting the same rounds. You make your claim above from time to time, and ask for proof. When it is provided time and again, sometimes by true experts -- you go silent. You don't refute the proofs. You just come back later with the same old claim: springs don't wear out unless they're poorly made, poorly designed, or made from bad material. While there clearly are poorly made, poorly designed spring made from crappy materials, those aren't the springs most of us encounter.

We've had this discussion before... Here's one of several examples: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460410 (We've had it in other places, too.) In the discussion in this link, you said, in response #18:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs
So I want someone to, metallurgically speaking, explain to me all this "spring weakening."
John KSA went on, in response #19 to do cite examples with links. John's comment's about springs are always worth the time required. In my response (#25) I also included a link to an earlier, more involved discussion (in which you participated and took the same position as always.) That discussion included many technical links, some of which still work. (It's been a while, and websites change.) Bernieb90's contributions (response #41 if you click on mY link) are particularly interesting. A metallurgist gets involved either in this or a following discussion, and corroborates both John's and Bernieb90's points.

Properly designed springs made of good materials do wear out. Especially when smaller springs are needed to do more work or when they must be fit into smaller areas that force them function closer to their elastic limits during normal gun operation.

That's the part you continue to ignore: all guns and their springs are not created equal... and what is expected of gun springs -- their design objective -- may vary. In some gun designs SPRING LONGEVITY may be sacrificed to give the gun better or different functionality for a shorter period of time. It's like changing shocks or struts in a car! Some will last a long time, but they don't all live the same life and aren't all asked to do the same work. That seems to be the case with the Rohrbaugh recoil spring -- to get a longer-lived recoil spring the gun designer would simply have to make room for a longer, bigger spring -- and that would mean a BIGGER Rohrbaugh R9 -- that was NOT what the R9 was designed to be...

Page generated in 0.03907 seconds with 8 queries