View Single Post
Old November 21, 2011, 02:31 PM   #147
Hardcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Norris
That no longer applies. That authority was removed, and the only authority that is left is that which was stated in the C.R. Using the Commerce Clause, any Congress can add any restrictions/qualifications it so decides.
Somehow the Commerce Clause has lately become the wildcard of the Constitution. Since virtually anything that anybody does involves some sort of interstate action, the Commerce Clause has been twisted to cover it.

I agree with you, Al, that justifying this bill's Constitutionality with the Commerce Clause is a loser for the people - regardless of the bill's merits, it helps to broaden what I think should be a rather narrowly applied part of the Constitution.

On a different note, in the "one size fits all" federal legislation argument, add No Child Left Behind to the list. There appear to be several reasons why HR 822 is not a great idea.

Page generated in 0.03347 seconds with 8 queries