Thread: Lee bench plate
View Single Post
Old May 11, 2012, 09:45 PM   #15
David Wile

Hey folks,

While I have never tried the subject Lee product, I did find a very useful alternative for my purposes. I simply had too many presses mounted on my old bench and did not have enough "work" room left.

When I moved in 2005 and built a new loading bench, I decided to only have two presses mounted on my bench at one time. I got two half inch thick steel plates 12" X 16" and mounted them four feet apart and quite solidly to my stick built loading bench which is quite solid itself. I then drilled and tapped mounting holes for each press one each steel plate. Most of my metallic presses mount solidly with two bolts. My shotshell presses all use four mounting holes.

For the two-hole mounts, I think I use either 5/16 or 3/8 inch bolts. I just forget which size it is without going downstairs to look. For the shotshell presses with four mounting holes, I use 1/4 inch bolts. When not in use, presses are stored close together on a wood shelf on the adjacent wall. Each is held in place on the shelf with lag bolts which can be finger tightened.

Changing out from one press to another on the two steel plate bench locations is really quite easy - either two or four bolts, depending on the press. Taking the time to drill and tap the holes for each press is a one time job, and a few presses will share holes. Once the steel plates are drilled and tapped, presses can be mounted solid as a rock, and this is absolutely necessary for progressive loaders.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Page generated in 0.02285 seconds with 8 queries