View Single Post
Old October 28, 2011, 09:13 AM   #20
Slamfire

Quote:
Some of your arguments are somewhat reasonable but some of your examples are realitively low pressure(compared to about any modern rifle cartridge) and the presence or lack of lube on the case would not make much difference.
Hatcher claimed greases dangerously raised pressures, Whelen claimed greases and oils raised pressures dangerously. These men lied.

If their claims were true then it would be true regardless of cartridge and mechanism. Yes a .22LR is low pressure, but that is only relative to something like a service round. The case is the weakest link, raising pressures on a rim fire will result in blown case heads and sidewalls just as would happen to a thicker skinned cartridge.

If a Nambu is not considered high pressure, what about a machine gun that was chambered in 8 X 56 R, 8X57 mm and 6.5 X 55 mm? The Schwarzlose used an oil pump mechanism. Some pretty good pictures of a Schwarzlose is at this URL. The oiler is on the top cover, with the top cover removed you can see wonderfully machined parts.

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artikla...chwarzlose.htm

Quote:
The Schwarzlose machine gun has a device for oiling each cartridge to ease the reloading cycle. On each stroke oil was squirted into the firing chamber to lubricate the incoming cartridge case.

1912 some changes were made to the feed system and this change was called M1907/12. It had a straight top receiver and a simplified oil pad system instead of the pump mechanism.

DoD experimented with lubricated cases, this section is from AMCP 706-260, Automatic Weapon Design.
There is an excellent section on lubricated cases in section 6.0 Blowback in “Brassey’s Small Arms” by Allsop and Toomey. http://www.amazon.com/Small-Arms-Mac...9809941&sr=1-1 Or if you want to design a firearm, start with this book by Brassey’s “ Brassey's Essential Guide to Military Small Arms: Design Principles and Operating Methods”http://www.amazon.com/Brasseys-Essen...9809941&sr=1-2 It is only $500.00 but the information on bolt lug design is priceless.

As for high power, is a 20mm cannon big enough? Brassey’s Small Arms references two automatic cannon that used lubricated cases. These cannons used cases that were greased. No oilers, greased ammunition.

How could that be if Hatcher and Whelen were telling the truth?

We don’t see oilers and greased cases anymore because they were designed out. During WWII the Germans used fluted chambers which use gas lubrication to break the friction between the case and the chamber. (You want to gum up a G3 just let those flutes get dirty) Instantly oilers and lubed cases were obsolete. This has been so long that oilers and greased cases are beyond living memory, which allows ignorant XXXX’s like Dick Culver to write historical fiction stories, the plots of which are based on lies.

Fluted chamber used on the HK91

Also used for "low powered" applications.

Quote:
I believe it has been proven that a straight bodied case will produce less bolt thrust than a tapered body case.
Ah, no. Proved by whom?

I believe that many of the factory cartridges we use are coated with ceresin wax. The same case lubricant used on the Pederson rifle cases. I believe it is there to keep the cartridges shiny. No one wants to buy brand new ammunition that is tarnished, and based on spider webbed corrosion I have seen on some of my older factory ammunition, which only occurs under films, I believe those tricky dudes at the factory are spraying finished cartridges with a very thin wax coating.

Last edited by Slamfire; October 29, 2011 at 07:20 AM.

Page generated in 0.02374 seconds with 8 queries