Thread: Ballistol
View Single Post
Old July 28, 2011, 12:24 PM   #12
seed

Cascade1911, since you asked:

For lube I use Weapons Shield. I mainly use the "oil", but have been experimenting with their grease, mixed with the oil on the rails. It is also a good protectant, but I don't believe it is designed to protect as well dry as say Eezox or Corrosion X. I rarely use a protectant on my guns as almost all are finished/refinished very well and or are stainless. I don't have rust-causing perspiration like I have read about here and elsewhere. Mostly I trust the finish/stainless on the outsides and Weapons Shield to protect the high wear areas it serves to lubricate, which it does better than any product I know of.

For cleaning, I use both Weapons Shield and MPro7. I'll start with the latter and finish with the former as WS is what I use for lube. For tougher jobs, I may be inclined to use other solvents, but to me, a clean gun is only part of the equation as my health is the other...and besides, these products get the job done very well. I do use nitrile gloves though -- mostly to prevent exposure from the solvent/oil. I do not fear toxicity from these two products...I just don't want them to get all over my hands. But I cerainly do fear the toxicity of Eezox! Aside from wearing nitrile gloves, I make sure the air is circulating well when I use Eezox or other toxic substances. I mostly use Eezox these days on things like bare steel blade knives or on my Kel Tec P3AT...but not much anymore. The smell is STRONG, however it does fade over time. On the other hand, the smell of Weapons Shield is much more subtle and actually quite nice...it smells cinamonny.

As for wood, I don't know. I only have one wood anything (CZ452) and I haven't felt the need to apply anything on it yet...it is hardly used, compared to other things.

Last edited by seed; July 28, 2011 at 12:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.03705 seconds with 8 queries