View Single Post
Old January 14, 2008, 03:33 PM   #1
nobody_special

H&K USP, or 1911?

I'm looking for something to replace my Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm (my first, and so far only, pistol), which will soon be sent back for factory repair. I want a manual safety, so no Glocks, Springfield XDs, or Sigs. I've narrowed my choices down to either a HK USP or a 1911. I also considered a BHP but didn't like the feel BHP clones I saw in the gun store last weekend.

I really like the flexibility of the USP... external hammer, manual safety and decocker, so it works in SA and DA mode. The only other pistol I know of that can do that is the Beretta 92, but I don't like the feel of the Beretta's fat grip. I don't like the USP's magazine release very much. The other potential negative is the HK customer service... I hear they don't care much about non-LEO/military customers?

And I'm not sure which caliber to go with, either. I have a good amount of 9mm already. I've only fired .40S&W in a Glock, and found the snappy muzzle flip to be extremely unpleasant -- it felt like the gun was going to jump out of my hand every time I fired it (this was before I had much experience shooting). I don't know if the recoil would be any better in a USP or not; supposedly the USP has a recoil reduction system, but I don't know how effective that is. As for .45, I've only fired that caliber in a Kimber 1911, and it was easy enough to shoot.

As for the 1911s, I'm leaning toward another Taurus; they seem pretty reasonably priced. If the gun develops a problem, presumably any gunsmith could fix it if I didn't want to wait for Taurus' lifetime warranty (as in, you wait a lifetime, we'll fix your gun ). I'm open to other options, but trying to keep it around $600.

Any thoughts? Am I missing any other good options?

Thanks...

Page generated in 0.03411 seconds with 8 queries