View Single Post
Old September 14, 2013, 02:14 PM   #28
BLKOUTMky

In case you are looking for an alternative to oils and petroleum based products, I might suggest FrogLube CLP.

I made the switch a year ago and will not go back to any oil/petroleum based products again unless it is absolutely necessary.

I have come up with my own application process which involves the following:

1. Use FrogLube Solvent to clean all products (not necessary)

2. Apply generous amount of FL CLP to all metal parts to be lubricated

3. Place items in an oven set @ 150 to 225 degrees F for 15 to 30 minutes

4. Once surfaces appear to be sweating, I remove the parts and allow to cool until they are safe to handle but still very warm

5. Wipe excess CLP from all surfaces (run off should be brownish color from mixing with old oils)

Using this method, FrogLube will be absorbed into the metal surface (or any finish on the metal) and will appear smooth rather than oily or slick.

During use, as the parts heat up some of the CLP may liquify and give the parts a wet look.

I have found that using FL CLP allows my AR's and other guns to operate more like they have dry lube applied to prevent the capture of unwanted dust or dirt but still maintain great lubrication.

Removal of carbon and other build up is usually pretty easy, if there are any stubborn spots you can either scrape it off or soak it in more CLP and apply heat (recommend baking again for 5 to 10 min).

Most powder residue and grime simply wipes off with little or no effort and reapplication of the CLP is not always necessary. I only do the application process listed above 2 times then repeat every other use.

Yes this product is pricey, but with less need to reapply after every use it actually lasts a lot longer.

Nice thing is no chemical fumes, concerns over reacting with other materials (some plastics can dissolve) or concerns over flash burns if used near heat sources .... as well as other health and safety concerns.

Works even better on NiB, NP3 and other coatings ... just use caution when handling, they become extra hard to hold onto.

Page generated in 0.02114 seconds with 8 queries