View Single Post
Old May 19, 2013, 01:14 AM   #46
Weatherby Fan

I have a weatherby vanguard s2 in stainless, 270 Winchester.

It's been a dark secret of mine.

The damn thing is accurate as hell, recoil little, fits me very well, and is tough as nails. No plastic parts aside from the stock and even it has nice grippy inserts. The trigger is light and breaks cleaning. The bolt can be taken apart in the field for a clean after a rainy day.

I have hunted with it in all manner of weather, killed many game with it. The action has even withstood a few heavily overloaded rounds with no problem.

As far as actual functionality goes, it's the perfect hunting rifle. It simply does everything you need from a hunting rifle, perfectly. That is to say, you can spend more money but not be able to do a single thing better than this rifle can.

HOWEVER

That's an evaluation of the rifle as a TOOL.

Rifles aren't just tools to everyone. Just as different people have hobbies and might dump a lot of money into season tickets for their favorite sports team or signed memorabilia or jerseys or hats, people who are firearms enthusiasts sometimes spend more money on the rifle than would be necessary for just a simple tool.

For some people, they view a hand crafted stock made from fine Walnut with a beautifully polished and blued barreled action with hand engraving as more of a piece of art. To them, the value of the rifle is not limited to its utility as a tool but rather, as an object to be enjoyed for its other characteristics as well.

Some people regard such an item as an Heirloom Piece.

Page generated in 0.02250 seconds with 8 queries