View Single Post
Old January 2, 2012, 05:02 AM   #12
arentol

Given that I have recently acquired a .45 colt rifle that can handle tier 3 rounds and a revolver that can only safely handle Tier 2 rounds (same as your S&W), I have done a little research into what is available. So far I found the following in terms of best prices and/or greatest power:

Cheapest Tier 1 practice rounds I could find:
HSM RNFP can be had for about $0.50 per round.
Fiocchi Cowboy Action for about $0.60 per round.

(HSM is the more powerful of the two.)

Best* defensive rounds (Tier 2) I could find:
Corbon Self-Defense JHP which is 200 grains, 1100fps, 537 ft/lbs, for about $1.45 per round.
Double Tap, either 185 grain nosler JHP or 250 grain nosler JHP, both at about 525 ft/lbs energy, both about $1 per round. Make sure not to get the +p stuff on accident though since Double-Tap makes both.

Best* hunting ammo:
For hunting Buffalo Bore makes a Keith style semi wad-cutter at 255 grains and 1100 fps, 566 ft/lbs that sounds pretty good. About $1.75 per round.
Corbon has a 335 grain hunting round that is one of only two rounds (both corbon) I have found so far that is above 600 ft/lbs and below 900 ft/lbs. I don't know if I would trust it in your gun though as it is on the high end at 820 ft/lbs. I certainly won't trust it in mine.

The Tier 3 stuff generally leaves the muzzle with more than twice the energy of the above Tier 2, and 3 or 4 times that of Tier 1. Definitely don't use Tier 3 stuff in any revolver short of a Blackhawk level firearm.

*(When I say "best" I am not speaking definitively or authoritatively. This is just what I found so far in my search that sounds good. If someone has better suggestions I would love to hear them).

And I second robctwo on not firing the Tier 3's too many at a time from a Rossi 92. The gun handles them just fine, but it will beat the heck out of your shoulder with that steel butt plate. Wouldn't complain for a second if I was firing them at a charging bear, but for general fun shooting, they aren't that much fun. The HSM RNFP rounds are a blast though and don't hurt a bit.

Page generated in 0.02685 seconds with 8 queries