View Single Post
Old September 8, 1999, 12:21 PM   #1
ckurts

Last Friday was my 9/80 day off, so as usual I picked a couple of pistols and some ammo out of the locker and headed towards Carter's. I had my Ruger P89 and the Tokarev. Ammo for the Tok was 210 rds of Chinese ball. It looks fairly new, but my Chinese reading skills are rusty so if anybody knows box markings I'd appreciate some info, as I am curious about the vintage. I brought 100 rds of S&B 115 grain 9mm and 50 rounds of an unidentified brand of 9mm that I bought at a gun show, which brings me to subject of the story.
I warmed up at the 15 yard line on standard slowfire targets with 70 rounds from the Tok and 50 rounds of the S&B from the P89. I moved down to the 7 yard line and tried to use my gunshow special. I had 7 failures to fire, and 2 out of those failed to fire with 5 or 6 trigger pulls. Accuracy was horrible- this was a silhouette target, and the shots were all over the paper and many keyholes. I may not be the best shot in the world, and the P89 is not my most accurate handgun, but it was only 7 yards and even I can't make a slug keyhole. The recoil was quite sharp for a 9 mm as well, like a 124 grain +P Corbon.
So here is a description of the ammunition: it was sold as "124 grain military FMJ". It is packed in a gray card box that measures 3.5 X 2.5 X 1.25 inches exactly (leads me to believe the ammo, or at least the box was manufactured here in the U.S.). A paper seal or closure on the box says "50 ROUNDS 9 mm BALL L7A1", then a cross-in-circle (NATO?) and a solid circle, and finally "HP 22/91". When you open the box, there is "SV 3890", "HP" and "90". The rounds themselves are bright and clean brass with coppery-appearing nonmagnetic bullets. The headstamp is "L7A1 91 HP" and a tiny cross-in-circle. The primers are lacquered bright red. I could not make out two flash holes inside the case so they may be boxer primed.
I am guessing that I was shooting some kind of SMG ammo. Any ideas?

Page generated in 0.02072 seconds with 8 queries