View Single Post
Old August 4, 2009, 05:38 PM   #3
fastbolt

Dunno that I could really offer an accurate and specific answer predicated upon any single individual, other than myself.

Having been involved in helping train a number of folks in the martial arts over the years (38), and then a number of folks in the LE field (FTO & firearms instructor), it seems there are as many reactions to training as there are folks who are subjected to it.

Just depends.

Probably on a number of things.

Training is commonly mental and physical, and can even involve an emotional context.

Simple knowledge of tactics & strategy, for example, may be looked upon as something learned and memorized by one person, but embraced and adopted into the lifestyle to the extent necessary of another person.

Then there's the whole training & repetitive practice to reinforce important aspects of the training involved factor to consider.

Physical skills are perishable for any number of reasons. Shooting skills are considered perishable in LE work, for example.

'Perishability', or 'staleness', of some skills, physical and/or mental, can become a reasonable concern when it comes to maintaining skills acquired during training.

Some folks don't seem to focus themselves as much as other folks when it comes to training and learning to apply it in their everyday lives to the extend required or possible.

Some folks seem to relegate it to some back corner of their mind and go on with their normal lives, seemingly not even thinking about it, possibly hoping it will 'kick in' if ever needed.

Some folks look at it as something they've done, and gotten under their belt, but then neglect it and revert to whatever normal habits and actions they spent far more time doing during their lives and normal activities.

Good training, complemented by proper practice done frequently enough to reinforce the training ... combined with appropriate mindset ... combined with successful experience in the application of some aspects of the training ... can still fail to provide the response desired when the unexpected and unwanted moment arrives where the successful application of the involved training might prove to be the difference between life & death or serious bodily injury.

Like I said, I dunno.

I've spent all of my adult life incorporating what I feel to be useful and relevant aspects gained from my involvement in the martial arts into my 'normal life', and then within my LE career, as well. Although I grew up and came to adulthood being an avid firearms owner and shooter, after I entered LE I received a different level of training in firearms usage, later going on to become a firearms instructor of almost 20 years experience.

Personally, I have the opinion that each instance where some situation occurs where some aspect of my training may prove useful is probably so somewhat unique in some ways, and yet also sometimes shares some similarities with other situations.

Will my training prove to be sufficient ... and more importantly, will I have the opportunity to avail myself of it when/if an opportunity arises where it's important to me, for either my own life/safety or for the lives/safety of someone else?

So far so good. Dunno about later today or any of my tomorrows, though.

I certainly hope so.

None of which really answers your question, though, does it?

It's a question I'd think a lot of folks learn to ask themselves, and then continue to ask themselves.

Situational awareness, a sound knowledge base, prudent judgment and the ability to make a sound decision making under variable conditions can be more critical than just having a piece of equipment at hand.

As you apparently realized for yourself, taking the appropriate steps to prevent unauthorized access to a firearm kept for use as a defensive weapon, but which may not be needed at any particular moment, is something worthy of careful consideration.

On a related note, you can sometimes read online (or hear in person) some folks talk about 'instinct'. Occasionally someone will even talk about how they feel 'instinct' is more important to them than training.

Well, I think it might be fair to observe that there's 'instinct' born of nature, nurture and general life experience ... and then there's arguably 'instinct' born of, and honed by, training. I sometimes wonder what 'instinct' some folks are talking about and attributing so much importance to in their discussions.

Like I said before all of my rambling ... I don't have the definitive answer. Sorry. I'm not anybody's expert anything and I have my own concerns about whether my training & experience will continue to serve my needs the rest of my life.

Wish I had the 'answer', though.

Please excuse the wordy, lengthy rambling.

Page generated in 0.03738 seconds with 8 queries