View Single Post
Old August 25, 2005, 12:48 AM   #1
William_IV

Triming new cases...(Gripes)

Posted Thoughts

I've been loading some new 45acp rounds and so far I must admit. The case triming is probably the most tedious of all the processes. I'm using a RCBS Trim pro. and man my hand is just about falling off. From case to case there is slight variation in length depending on how hard and how many times you cranked the handle, this is not good! The die/shell holder is spring loaded and very temperamental. I must say, after a few hundred cases you get pretty tired of placing the shell in it's holder. You can set the cutters to cut to desired length with 10 cranks of the handle or 20 cranks (and a lot of hand pressure) For 70.00 bucks you'd think you'd get better prformance!

I thought of getting an attachment to hook the Trim pro up to a hand drill. Yet still i've got the shell holder with the bow flex action to worry about . Should I waste my time trying to modify this? and risk destroying this product or could it work better for me? Hmmm... i've got a drill press perhaps I could put it to good use. What if take this baby apart? Here we go again, this ain't the first time i've gone down this road...(You should see my table saw). If I took the Shell plate handle off and turned it 180 and reinstalled the handle then it would work great in the vertical position. The green base has two screws holding the assembly. If this part was discarded, I could then mount the trimmer to my press, and the case holder to the drill table(The latter i'm still working on). One could then use the drill press stop and the nice adjustment screws on the cutter. This setup should work much faster and hell of a lot easier. If this doesen't work I could still put this thing back together. And go back to the dreaded RCBS pencil sharpening method.

Page generated in 0.02009 seconds with 8 queries