View Single Post
Old November 10, 2002, 12:42 PM   #14
Jim Watson

If you don't reload, you probably should stick with .38 Special. You should probably use 158 gr RN "Police Specials" but the 130 grain jacketed economy loads might suit you better. Don't worrry about it. Few matches short of the Nationals chronograph and standard factory loads will be accepted. You might have to take +P to the Nationals, depending on the individual gun's performance. My reloads are the maximum listed for standard pressure and velocity.

Wadcutters will NOT make power factor, and are slower on the reload anyhow. Some dummy rounds and six empties will let you practice dryfire with speedloaders. Lots of dryfiring will smooth up the action, too.

I have read of good GP100 trigger jobs, done DIY by determined shooters. Maybe there is a shop working them over. Otherwise, they are strong and reasonably priced. I have seen some very nice Security/Service/Speed Sixes.

I think the K-Smith has the best basic action for DA shooting. The others can get close, if you just want a heavier gun; so it is not a huge thing.

Bill and ACP230 to the contrary, I recommend adjustable sights. Not because they are adjustable, but because they are bigger. Taurus actually has the best rear sight (type, I don't know about quality) with the desirable "barn door" image. Also a full 4" barrel for weight and sight radius.

Page generated in 0.02568 seconds with 8 queries