View Single Post
Old June 11, 2001, 09:01 PM   #1
George Helser

Clean primer pockets?

In 1972 I started loading my own ammo. The common practice back then was you should clean the powder residue out of the primer pocket after decapping. The 1971 Sierra reloading manual stated about cleaning primer pockets:
“With a clean primer pocket the reloader is surer of a tight fit when the primer is seated, eliminating gas leaks to get better performance from your loads.”

I also recollect reading/hearing that with a clean primer pocket the primer seats more firmly so firing pin strikes were more uniform.

The Dillon progressive reloaders have become very popular but they don’t clean primer pockets. Dillon says you can get match accuracy from their reloaders.

With the reports from Dillon and Dillon users I stopped cleaning primer pockets about 4 years ago. I am not a target shooter but I have had no problems with reliability using dirty primer pockets.

What is the best information on primer pocket cleaning? Are there any benefits to cleaning? Or, is not cleaning just a concession needed to take advantage of progressive
reloading machines? Was I wasting my time for 25 years?

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Page generated in 0.03282 seconds with 8 queries