View Single Post
Old July 4, 2013, 08:41 PM   #83
JerryM

I have never owned a rifle that would not group well enough for hunting.

I have owned a couple that would not group better than 2 moa, but that is easily sufficient accuracy to shoot at any reasonable hunting range, and better than most can shoot in the field. I am not convinced that using a machine rest has any real use except in the area of bench rest or maybe 1,000 yd shooting.

In the field one does not have time to get a real tight sling using his shooting vest.
I will freely admit I am not, or have ever been, in the class of Carlos Hathcock. But I have not needed to be to take any game I have hunted at what I consider hunting ranges. I did once kill a deer in Montana that was running at something over 500 yards away from me. That is not a brag, because if I had not missed him twice running at 200 at yards I would not have needed the LUCK to make such a shot.

Anyway, I guess I have said what I need to say. I like to shoot groups from the bench to make sure my rifle is shooting as I want it to, and that the scope is fine. From there I will take what I can get in the field, and that is what sport hunting is about.

If you cannot locate and stalk the game within range it does not make any difference if your rifle is a tack driver or not.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Page generated in 0.05654 seconds with 8 queries