Thread: Bad Practice!
View Single Post
Old October 20, 2012, 06:52 PM   #89
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo roy
...I have stated as well that my choices are based on what I picture a life or death struggle may come to...
And how do you know that your picture has any validity?

Quote:
...I have not said I thought the technique in question did not have value but for me it did not fit in my sd plan...
And how do you know that your plan has any utility?

A major deficiency with a plan, of course, is that any plan assumes things happening in a certain way. However, threats and a need to defend oneself or one's loved ones arise in a variety of ways.

Current training is multilayer. It begins with a sound grounding in some basic skills, usually including drawing from a holster, shooting quickly and accurately, movement, reloading, malfunction clearance and use of cover and concealment. Building on that is usually an array of further basic skills including such techniques as engaging multiple targets, shooting dominant hand only and non-dominant hand only, engaging near threats from the retention position (the gun held close to the body), other point shooting techniques, shooting in low light conditions with a flashlight and shooting while moving.

Next come exercises in simulators or Force-on-Force training. Simulator exercises and FoF, to be really useful, require a solid foundation of basic skills.

The point is to lay a foundation of basic skills that can be applied in a wide variety of situations.

Quote:
...The technique as it was taught to me did not answer or solve so common issues I had with regard to my personal carry style...
Seems kind of backwards to me. My personal carry style is based on my training.

Training and education are growing and maturing experiences. One learns things he didn't know before, and he has to abandon old notions.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.02346 seconds with 8 queries