Thread: Krav Maga
View Single Post
Old March 24, 2001, 10:49 AM   #18
Danger Dave

Lawdog is 100% on the money. Martial arts is one of the "trendiest" things in the world. Over the last 20 years or so, I've seen several styles come & go in terms of their popularity. One year, it's Kung Fu; then TaeKwonDo, then Japanese Karate, then the eclectic styles (e.g. American Karate), then traditional styles, then Aikido (thanks to Segal's movies), then the various grappling styles (BJJ, Jujitsu, etc.), and right now it's combatives. And you see the same people/schools teaching all of it! All of them promise the same things - "We'll make you unbeatable" or some such nonsense.

My point is, I guess, be very careful of what you buy into. I'd say 90% of what's taught out there isn't what it's purported to be (most people I know would say I'm being generous with that figure).

Like I've said before, most of these Combatives programs (Krav Maga, Scars, Line, etc.) are just abbreviated versions of other styles, with a few techniques from here or there thrown in the mix. And they're usually taught by someone with very little expertise in even one style (beware of experts in many systems - very few people master even one thing in their lifetime).

I'm not gonna say it's worthless, but be careful what you spend your time on - we don't have enough time in our short lives to waste it.

Page generated in 0.03349 seconds with 8 queries