View Single Post
Old June 26, 2012, 09:06 PM   #11
saands

When we shoot at extended ranges, it is in a hilly area where the only long shots are across canyons. We have hauled 12" gongs out there ... but it is a LOT of work to do it right. Usually we take turns finding rocks that are 1-2 MOA across and 800-1000 yds out and challenging the other guy to hit it. I always try to get in a prone position, but sometimes it just doesn't happen and I have to improvise. In our "rules" we always allow the use of a laser for ranging, but there are no free fouling shots or practice shots to read the wind with a bullet ... that would spoil a good part of the challenge. I have never formally competed at that range, this is really just a nice way to educate yourself and have some fun in the process. I'm always amazed how much time you spend thinking and how few rounds you actually send downrange ... maybe 15 to 20 shots in 3-4 hours. I have felt completely humbled by the wind in open air 500 feet above a canyon floor, but I have never felt limited by my 10x scope. One nice thing, though ... after you get your technique so that you are making pretty consistently solid shots at 925, shots at 400 feel pretty reasonable

Saands

Page generated in 0.03766 seconds with 8 queries