View Single Post
Old August 31, 2010, 12:15 AM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

pax has, I think, stated it very well.

It's still basically the same analytical process for you. You will generally need to show a reasonable and prudent person, in like circumstances and knowing what you know, would conclude that lethal force is necessary to prevent otherwise unavoidable, imminent death or grave bodily injury to an innocent. To demonstrate that there was indeed a real danger from the assailant, one must show that the assailant had (1) the Ability, i. e., the power to deliver force sufficient to cause death or grave bodily harm; (2) the Opportunity, i. e., the assailant was capable of immediately deploying such force; and (3) put an innocent in Jeopardy, i. e., the assailant was acting in such a manner that a reasonable and prudent person would conclude that he has the intent to kill or cripple. You will need to be able to articulate why in the exact situation as it unfolded you concluded that lethal force was necessary based on the foregoing.

But of course, one of the things you know is that you have a medical condition that puts you at greater risk of serious injury or death from an injury that might not be as grave for someone else. Essentially, you can take into account that it will be easier for an attacker to cause you a lethal or grievous injury.

Page generated in 0.02495 seconds with 8 queries