View Single Post
Old January 2, 2010, 04:31 PM   #115
RDak

Ok TG, thanks for the answers.

Yes, doomsday scenarios are extreme situations but I feel there is enough of the Constitution "inbred" in many, many of us that we might react differently than Somali's, but you would know that better than I would. (Did/does Somalia have an constitutional framework that would be more similar to ours than dissimilar?)

No doubt Hamilton calls for government involvement in most aspects of a militia, whether it be organized or unorganized, but he seems to temper this involvement IMHO when he makes this statement:

Quote:
``The project of disciplining all the militia of the United States is as futile as it would be injurious, if it were capable of being carried into execution. A tolerable expertness in military movements is a business that requires time and practice. It is not a day, or even a week, that will suffice for the attainment of it. To oblige the great body of the yeomanry, and of the other classes of the citizens, to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well-regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people, and a serious public inconvenience and loss. It would form an annual deduction from the productive labor of the country, to an amount which, calculating upon the present numbers of the people, would not fall far short of the whole expense of the civil establishments of all the States. To attempt a thing which would abridge the mass of labor and industry to so considerable an extent, would be unwise: and the experiment, if made, could not succeed, because it would not long be endured. Little more can reasonably be aimed at, with respect to the people at large, than to have them properly armed and equipped; and in order to see that this be not neglected, it will be necessary to assemble them once or twice in the course of a year.

``But though the scheme of disciplining the whole nation must be abandoned as mischievous or impracticable; yet it is a matter of the utmost importance that a well-digested plan should, as soon as possible, be adopted for the proper establishment of the militia. The attention of the government ought particularly to be directed to the formation of a select corps of moderate extent, upon such principles as will really fit them for service in case of need. By thus circumscribing the plan, it will be possible to have an excellent body of well-trained militia, ready to take the field whenever the defense of the State shall require it. This will not only lessen the call for military establishments, but if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.''
In any event, thanks for you opinion on this. I guess I agree in the main but disagree somewhat on how the unorganized militia could organize itself, with the help of military men and women, should the need arise. Thus, starting down the road of becoming a well regulated militia.

I'm going a long way around the barn in saying I feel the FF's wouldn't have a problem with the unorganized militia forming legitimate well regulated militias should the need ever arise. (Although you bring up a good point that this would be a highly unlikely occurrance. But that is what the OP brought up. I just thought it was an interesting way to look at how militias might work in draconian situations.)

Page generated in 0.03946 seconds with 8 queries