Thread: Service Rifle
View Single Post
Old July 5, 2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Citizen Carrier

The Mini-14 was never an issue weapon of the U.S. Armed Forces, so it cannot be considered a service rifle. Consequently, some rifles that were issue rifles are no longer considered "service rifles", such as the Krag or M1917 rifle. The Johnson was never considered as such either.

You could compete in NRA events with a mini-14 in the "match rifle" category, but you would be at the severest disadvantage. You cannot use one for any of the CMP-sponsered matches, as they do not have a "match rifle" category.

I also believe the M1903 has recently been retired as a candidate for "service rifle", as the U.S. military is no longer supporting that rifle with spare parts, etc. for use by Legion or VFW funeral details.

Somebody will correct me if I am wrong about that.

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf

The CMP rulebook starting on page 20 lists on the M1, M14, and AR15/M16 as "service rifles".

The NRA rulebook here:
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-w03.pdf

Also lists only those three models as "service rifle".

Thankfully, the CMP created the CMP Games events so that competitors can shoot rifle-specific matches.

The John C. Garand Match (8 August, this year) is for the M1 Garand, naturally. Stock Garands, not highly modified match M1s. Last I heard, you could also use the Johnson semi-automatic rifle, as it was a contemporary issue rifle with the Garand for a short while. It would be interesting to hear if you could compete with a semi-automatic BAR...

The Springfield/Vintage Rifle Match (7 August) is really two matches shot on the same day. You can shoot one or both. The Springfield is for M1903 and 1903A3 rifles, period. And again, they must be stock rifles (see the rule book). The Vintage Rifle Match allows you to use just about any manually operated military rifle you want. Krags, M1917s, Mausers, Arisakas, Enfields, Mosins, etc.

The M1 Carbine Match (6 August). M1 Carbines, naturally. But they must be carbines with original USGI receivers. No Auto-Ordnance or Plainfields or Iver Johnsons, etc.

The M1A Match (9 August). This is an NRA-sponsored event (the others are CMP) and is only for M14 type rifles, but not just Springfield Armory-produced rifles. This one is "bring your own ammo".

Page generated in 0.03523 seconds with 8 queries