View Single Post
Old January 15, 2009, 10:35 PM   #55
TripIII

Have defended my shetland sheepdog on two separate occasions while CCW.

Fended off two boxers (local pets). One was agressive the other was not. The agressive one made repeated lunges at my dog with snapping jaws as it passed while I kept myself between him and the shelty. He was after my dog and I was able to discourage him with kicks until a neighbor who knew the dogs got them under control.

A neighborhood Akita (120+ lbs) and it's sidekick (little dog) charged us from the woodline. I again put myself between it and my dog. I was suprised at my own reaction on this one...by how calm I was. I controlled my dog with leash and voice commands, drew my .45, clicked the thumb safety and took aim. We calmly stood our ground. The ball was in the Akita's court. It assessed the situation, relaxed it's agressive posture, decided to circle us and then went home. Good dog, smart dog.

I would defend my animal with leathal force (or I better not go home). Size (of the dog) does matter. I would likely be charged with discharging a firearm within 500' of an occupied dwelling.

Hope this never happens.

I have no use for sprays or sticks.

Page generated in 0.02229 seconds with 8 queries