View Single Post
Old March 15, 2008, 09:16 PM   #103
MLeake

One additional benefit to the "move" mindset; & the value of patience

If you train to move off the line of attack, it can benefit you in unexpected ways.

Got caught in the middle of a horse fight today... nothing serious, just two large (1500# plus) Holsteiner geldings trying to decide who's boss. Only problem was, I was affixing a halter to one, when the other kicked him.

Good thing I do a lot of pull-ups, or I think my arm might have been dislocated when the one I was holding reared up and wheeled toward the aggressor, with my hand still stuck in the halter...

Anyway, the aggressor then slammed by me and through the open gate (I was preparing to take them, one by one, to the barn...). So I locked up the one that now had a halter on, and took off after the troublemaker.

Well, he decided to turn around and run right at me. I'll tell you what, I now know why they say infantry had a hard time standing up to a cavalry charge... I wanted to catch the horse, and so I initially moved to block his path, halter and lead line in hand, figuring I could will him down.

I figured wrong. Let's just say that 1500# of hooves at the gallop make a real impression, especially when the li'l #*&$ decides to lower his head and aim right at you. The flash of light on horseshoes really draws the eye's focus.

So here's where training to move came in handy. Because I trained at this for years (aikido), I was able to advance on a 45 degree angle and execute a matador style pivot out of the way(tenkan). I think if I hadn't had years of practice at this, I might have frozen there and been seriously hurt, but I was able to stay in relatively fluid motion, and I'll tell you, it was in spite of being more than a little bit stressed.

Here is where patience enters the equation. Eventually, the #*&$ ran into one of the paddocks on property, where I was able to lock a gate on him. Then, I just let him snort and challenge the stallion across the way, and run around like an idiot until he tired himself out. He was much easier to deal with, a while later, when he was lathered up and wound down.

This post may not be directly firearms related, the point is that training a muscle response of movement, and using awareness and patience have broader application to potential threat situations that do not involve firearms.

Page generated in 0.02428 seconds with 8 queries