View Single Post
Old December 30, 2019, 01:05 PM   #194
stagpanther

As is often the case nowadays--I ran out the door forgetting my handloads next to the press--but fortunately I had some American Whitetail cartridges still in my range bag so I was still able to test the new BCG.

The American whitetail had also formally show signs of over-pressure in my gun--but after installing the Faxon BCG they all disappeared: flattening of the primer, flattening of the head stamp lettering, incipient failure line at top of web, ejector scrape extensive gas leakage--all these signs were gone. Also, the BCG failed to lock back at the previous setting and I had to turn it back clockwise a half turn to get it to start locking back again. Without a doubt, gas pressure/bolt thrust have been significantly reduced. Is it conclusively because of less headspace due to one or two thousandths of an inch closer bolt breech face? I can't say for sure--but I strongly suspect that whatever reason the case is getting a better seal and case support, at least with the hornady factory ammo. I'll try to get out and test my own loads once our brewing storm passes.

Page generated in 0.03420 seconds with 8 queries