View Single Post
Old December 27, 2017, 02:33 PM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
LogicMan So I know that two major legislative priorities that gun rights proponents and the NRA have had as of late have been the legalization of silencers and national reciprocity. But I haven't seen anything about getting rid of that "sporting purposes" clause from the Gun Control Act of 1968. Should this be a new legislative priority?
There will be absolutely zero assistance from any US firearm manufacturer.
Just as the NSSF hasn't lifted a finger on helping with the importation of surplus US firearms in Korea.

Bottom line is every firearm imported is one less that a US manufacturer will sell. S&W, Ruger, Colt, etc don't want a free market.

Quote:
Over the years, BATFE have used the sporting purposes clause to try to ban and/or regulate various weapons that it deems as "non-sporting." And of course then there is the definition of "sporting," which it gets to arbitrarily define as it pleases.
No, it's not arbitrary. The ATF can only base regulations on existing law and the intent of Congress when passing that law.

Quote:
For example, many gun control proponents (I don't know the official BAFTE position on these) do not see sports like 3-Gun or Cowboy Action Shooting as "legitimate sporting purposes."
ATF has published it's views on 3 gun, etc...........basically saying that although those are now considered "sports", they were not around when Congress passed the GCA. (and therefore do not count)

Quote:
So considering how this clause allows the government to so violate our rights, why hasn't it been a legislative priority of gun rights groups to get it repealed? IMO, that should be a greater legislative priority possibly than silencer deregulation or national reciprocity.
"The government" isn't some Big Brother or man behind the curtain.......it's us.
If we elect nincompoops, we should expect nincompoop legislation and a nincompoop judiciary.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Page generated in 0.03039 seconds with 8 queries