View Single Post
Old May 17, 2017, 12:13 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

The beauty of handloading and the lever gun (or any manually operated action), as long as the rounds are the right size (length) to feed, you can shoot monster magnum or cat sneeze loads equally well.

As long as the bullet reliably clears the barrel, its all good!

I had one of the Marlin .44s years ago, good gun, but eventually traded off, excess to need, as I did a few years later with the .45-70.

I kept the Marlin .357 for a plinker (with serious energy if needed), shooting .38s from it is fun, a bang, and about no recoil. .357 is BLAM and light recoil. The .44 with full house loads definitely has very noticeable recoil, but light loads are pussycats.

Keep the COAL below max and it should feed fine, they do like RNs better than SWCs, and can sometimes jam on SWC slugs, if the action isn't worked "smartly". (the "square edge" of the SWC can catch on the edge of the chamber, if this happens, simply bump the lever FORWARD a bit, taking the pressure off the round. It will then drop back into the correct position on the lifter and feed into the chamber properly when you close the lever).

I can't say I noticed that problem with my .44, but then I didn't feed it many SWCs. It will happen with my .357 sometimes (often with .38s), so it may be something more caliber specific than general.

Page generated in 0.02616 seconds with 8 queries