View Single Post
Old July 15, 2021, 10:45 PM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

It always boggles my mind how people can think that the decisions of the people playing politics in and with the military are somehow the fault of the equipment being introduced or removed from service.

No, the M14 didn't have much active service time, but that wasn't the rifle's fault. Not in the least.

Quote:
The Garand won WW2,...
Yes, ALONG WITH many other rifles, handguns, the odd Browning machine gun or two, and oh yeah besides planes, tanks, ships, artillery there were just a few million people in and out of uniform who's actions and sometimes lives worked to end WWII.

And while Patton said the M1 was the greatest battle implement ever devised, he said a lot of other stuff too, not all of it as sensible as praising a good rifle design.

Do remember that Patton and some others actively worked to keep the M26 heavy tank out of Europe. I understand that reasoning, though I don't agree with it. But its the cold calculation of what gets the mission done.
Always remember that is the military priority. Not providing the "best possible" but the "good enough to get the job done" at an acceptable cost.

Page generated in 0.02033 seconds with 8 queries