View Single Post
Old October 20, 2001, 12:48 AM   #4
Jack Straw

cmax,

You've asked some very open and general questions; we can help you better if you could be more specific (especially on the question of what to plan for - that alone could cover a few books!). Do you mean planning on the weather, hunting tactics, what gear to bring, camping supplies, what to expect to happen in the woods, deer behavior....you get my point.

As for what to do when you kill a deer, well... that depends. Have you ever field dressed or processed a deer? If you aren't hunting with someone that can help you with the field dressing, then find a processor near your lease and take the whole carcass there. Most will dress out a deer for you for a small charge. Once season opens it won't be hard to find other hunters at rural gas stations and convenience stores; ask them for a nearby processor.

What to do with the meat: whatever you would do with store bought meat. Cook some while its fresh, freeze some, give some away to friends. Its never hard to find people who want the meat. Once people know that you hunt, someone will ask for some meat (at least that's always been my experience). There is a Hunters for the Hungry program in GA if you would like to donate some to charity.

What county are you hunting in? I have hunted in GA all my life so seeing that you are here too really piqued my interest. I belong to a club that leases about 5000 acres in Coweta county.

There is one thing you can plan on: at some point, plan on having your cover blown by some deer that showed up when and where you did not expect it...its gonna happen.

Feel free to email me if you wish and I will keep an eye on this thread to see how else I might be of help.

Good luck!

Jack

Page generated in 0.04721 seconds with 8 queries