View Single Post
Old May 13, 2013, 10:09 AM   #1
wyobohunter

Southern Appalachia Trail and Open Carry

I'm going to South Carolina to support my nephew who will be graduating from Army basic this summer.

While in the south I'd like to hike a bit of the AT. Probably just a bit, maybe camp 1-2 nights at most due to the fact that most of my vacation days are going to be used up during hunting season here.

Top things to consider is legality and choice of section to hike.

Anybody have current info on Georgia, North Carolina an Tennessee OC law for an out of stater with no carry permit?
Where would you go? Obviously I'll be doing some independent research so no need to reply "read state gun laws". I think it's an interesting topic.

Second thing to consider - gun choice. The handguns I own and am considering are.

1-Ruger Vaquero in .357 Magnum with 5 1/2" barrel. Haven't patterned any snake shot with it but I know CCI makes it so that'd add versatility.

2-Sig Sauer P232 in .380 Auto. Nice and light but really only good for two legged predators. It's very accurate and I'm sure I could pop a snake if it would hold still... But sending a solid projectile out there to kill a snake seems a bad idea, I've heard the AT Can be a bit crowded.

3-1911 in 45 Auto- good four two legged, marginal for even black bears. Will not likely function with snake shot if anyone even makes it. I think I'm ruling this one out but I'll leave it here in case there is something I haven't thought of.

4-Ruger SRH Alaskan in 454. I have some nice 45 Colt loads for it and have developed my own shot shells that pattern very well out to 10 paces. This seems like the best choice to me but I've never bummed around the woods in the south.

1- Where would you go and why?
2-What would you carry and why?

Last edited by wyobohunter; May 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM.

Page generated in 0.02641 seconds with 8 queries